Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Paper Mixing Bowl: Challenge #3

This month's recipe was for Mom's Apple Pie. The recipe was as follows:


I was very excited about this month's challenge. I love the colour of Kraft paper and I immediately had an idea in mind. I have had two pictures sitting and just waiting to be scrapped for some time now. One is a favourite of mine, my mother holding me when I was little and I am looking up adoringly into her eyes, and the second is of me kissing Arabella when she was about 3 months old. Then I had the idea of adding a third picture (since the recipe had a frame with three pictures) of my Grandma holding my mom when she was a baby. My Grandma recently passed away so this had even more sentimental meaning to me. Once I decided to add the photo of my Grandma, I knew that my journaling element would be a poem that my mom had put on a photoboard at her funeral. It is a poem that was on a card my sister gave to my Mom years ago, that resurfaced at my Oma's funeral 5 years ago, and just recently at my Grandmother's funeral. It became the inspiration for the rest of the page with it's comparison of a mother's love to a garden. I loved the idea of using the muted Kraft for everything (the soil in the garden), but then adding a burst of life and colour with handmade flowers cascading down the page (the flowers in the garden). This is what I came up with...it is one my favourites that I plan on framing. The ingredients from the recipe that I used can be seen in CAPITALS throughout this post. I was able to incorporate every ingredient except for the paint/mist.

The Inspiration:


My Layout:
I loved the idea of incorporating different materials and shades of the colour KRAFT. For this layout, my background is actually a piece of brown parcel paper that I cut to a 12x12 size and then handstamped the edges with brown ink using a STAMP from the Pollen Dust collection by Fancy Pants. The title and poem are printed onto a scrap of Bazzil cardstock that I had leftover from a previous project. For the FRAME, I originally planned on using a scalloped edge frame that my sister-in-law had cut out for me using her Silhouette. However, before I picked it up from her I tried cutting out a simple frame using burlap since it matched the colour theme and loved how it turned out. It also incorporated the WEAVING utensil from the recipe. To add a little more depth to it, I handstamped it with brown ink and the same swirly stamp as my background. You can't really make out the shape of the stamp but I loved the texture it added.

SOURCES:  Cardstock: Bazzil Basics Paper, Bo Bunny – Kiwi Double Dot.  Paper:  Brown Parcel Paper, Burlap. Stamp: Fancy Pants – Pollen Dust. Ink: Memento – Rich Cocoa. Font: jailbIrD JenNA, Hawaii Killer. Flowers: Handmade Using Miscellaneous Paper & Embellishments
The Title:
The journalling part of the recipe suggested using the inspirational words Mother, Heritage or Family. Sticking to the theme of these words, I chose a phrase from the poem and entitled my page "The Legacy." I added a thin curly bracket border to the title which I designed in photoshop using the font Hawaii Killer. I love this font because it is a script font but it has a handstamped vibe to it. To add a pop of colour, I printed the title out in blue ink onto a scrap of Kraft cardstock and then cut it out using scissors. I also cut a larger frame for it and handstamped it as well for a backdrop to the title. A little ink around the edges and my title was complete!


The Flowers:
Each flower on this page was handmade using a large variety of tools including scalloped scissors, flower shaped punches, flower die cuts for the Cuttlebug and a plethora of embellishments such as BUTTONS, rhinestones, Stickles and sequins. To add some dimension, I curled many of the petals using a pencil or used two-sided foam tape for added height. The last step was to add some pops of colour or texture with handcut green or burlap leaves that I inked the edges with in brown.


Journalling:
As stated above, for the journalling portion of the recipe, I used a POEM which I printed in blue ink onto cardstock using the font jailbIrD JenNA with the words "heart" and "legacy" accentuated in the font Hawaii Killer.



Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely Gorgeous Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I told you in person how fantastic this layout was but I'm saying it again here! Great job as usual my friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete