Monday 30 April 2012

For the love of Burlap...and my Grandma

Today I thought I'd post one of my favourite layouts so far. It was a shared effort between my sister Angela and I, and is a memorial for my Grandma who passed away at the end of February. Perhaps that's why I feel so strongly about it.  My Grandma's burial is this week and unfortunately neither my sister, brother nor I can make it. But we still wanted to be there in spirit, and thus we created a layout to place with her casket.  I believe it was very cathartic for my sister and I as we created it, and I think it will help bring support to my Mom and Dad in our absense at the burial....and somewhere up in heaven, I know it will mean so much to my Grandma.

My sister came up with the idea to send a poem to my Mom so that the minister could read it on behalf of the grandchildren and then it could be buried with my Grandma. I took this a step farther and suggested we do a small, framed 8x8 layout. I showed my sister a layout I had recently done for May's Paper Mixing Bowl challenge (stay tuned for the big reveal tomorrow). Angela loved it and we decided that the burlap would be our jumping off point. The next step was to find an appropriate poem. We spent the next 2 hours scouring various websites for poems, quotes and even song lyrics looking for just the right one that would capture our feelings in words. We finally found one that brought tears to our eyes and knew that it was the perfect poem. We then spent the evening watching Season 2 of Grey's Anatomy and creating handmade flowers for the layout. The next day I printed off the poem and we put it all together in a frame.

SOURCES:  Cardstock: Bazzil Basics Paper, Bo Bunny –Double Dot.  Paper:  Brown Parcel Paper, Burlap. Stamp: Fancy Pants – Pollen Dust. Ink: Memento – Rich Cocoa. Font: My Organization, CK Ali’s Hand. Flowers: Handmade Using Miscellaneous Paper & Embellishments
 

I love the rustic feel the burlap brings to the layout and I think my Grandma would really love it. So this one's for you Grandma, we love and miss you very much!
xo

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment