Sunday, 1 April 2012

The Paper Mixing Bowl: Recipe #2

Here is the recipe for our second Paper Mixing Bowl challenge:

I found this particular recipe to be quite challenging as the layout was so fun and upbeat and that was definitely not where I was at on an emotional level. So after jotting down several ideas and spending several days brainstorming, I decided to sort through some old photos and came across one taken on my first scrapbooking crop. It brought back so many happy memories and I knew it was perfect for the layout. So here is my take on Hot Cross Buns:

SOURCES: Cardstock: Bazzil Basics Paper. Patterned Paper: BasicGrey Bo Bunny – Kiwi Double Dot. Font:  PAss the CheX, Wanda’s Write, Pea Stacy’s Doodles, Too Much Paper.
 The main ingredient was white so I decided right away that I would use a simple, plain white background for my layout. One of my favourite shapes to use is squares, especially if they have rounded corners, so that is the shape I decided to feature throughout the page and it also incorporated the corner punch utensil. I had been toying with using burlap on a layout for a while now and this seemed like as good a time as any, so I cut and frayed the edges of it for my backdrop and then used some strands from the burlap to add my version of the stitching detail to the page. I had wanted to use chipboard to add some dimension to the square detail at the top and bottom of my page but I didn't have any on hand so I used some foam tape to pop a few of the squares up instead.

For the journaling aspect, I featured a quote from that day that my scrapbook friends and I still joke brought a smile to my face just typing it out. The recipe asked us to write about a new beginning or a new adventure in our life, which inspired the title of my page "Adventures in Scrapbooking." I also loved the idea of using a numbered list so I journalled about the beginning of my friendship and new found love of scrapbooking in this style.

I love stickles, so I knew I was definitely using that utensil on my page. I ended up adding a smidget to the flower on my title and then very slowly traced the entire word "Scrapbooking." It added just the right amount of sparkle! I was very excited about using doilies in my layout so I made a stop at the dollar store and picked some up in two different sizes. What I had originally envisioned doing looked way better in my head than it did on paper, so instead I made the doilies into a flower and folded a few extra pieces so that it looked like lace peaking out from under the paper layers. I really loved how the doilies softened the look of the burlap and added a touch of femininity to the page.

Well, that's it for another challenge; I can't wait to get started on the next one!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment