Monday, 1 October 2012

The Paper Mixing Bowl: Challenge #8

I am finally back with a layout for the Paper Mixing Bowl. My apologies for skipping over layouts 6 and 7...layout 6 is still waiting to be finished and layout 7 I have yet to get around to posting. I have been a bit busy with company, layouts for wedding gifts and trips to Banff!!! (More on this another post)

This month's recipe is a festive Pumpkin Pie:

Here's my take on the recipe:
SOURCES:  Patterned Paper:  BasicGrey – Motifica>Clay. Cardstock: Miscellaneous scrap pieces. Fonts:  Pea Katrina, Artistamp Medium Embellishments: Coffee Filter, Wood splinters.

Originally I bought a paper for the background from Echo Park that featured a wood grain background (you will see it in the layout I did for a friend's wedding which I will post soon). However, I came across a piece of paper by Basic Grey that I purchased years ago that was perfect for it. Not only does it feature the main ingredient pumpkin (orange) but it also has black lines that look just like cat scratches on it.

The cobweb I made out of a coffee filter from my cupboard which I cut up in the same way you would make a paper snowflake. I used this as the backdrop to a picture of Arabella dipping her hands into the belly of the pumpkin. So much fun!

My favourite thing about this layout is the wood accents I used. These are actual splinters of wood from an old picnic table from our cottage. A lot of history in that wood...we used to eat at it when we were kids! So I saved a few slivers of it with the hope that they would make it onto one of my scrapbook pages, and alas, they were perfect for this one! I used the thickest piece to carve my title into and also used a black marker to add some depth to the carvings so the letters stood out better. For the journalling, I did my version of a potion combined with the old VISA commercial from TV and described a list of all the things we used to carve our pumpkin.

The pumpkins I cut from an old scrap of metallic cardstock I had lying around. I then scored the pumpkin sections and used a metal distresser to scratch in some texture. This was followed up by distressing the edges and then adding some ink and black chalk to create dimension. I loved how they turned out!

The last feature I did were a few handcut bats which I glued on with foam dots to make them pop.

Thanks for stopping by! And stay tuned...I hope to post the rustic wedding layout I made for one of my Bestie's Christy.

Pin It!


  1. Very cute! I love how you carved the title and made your web! Great job!

  2. This is awesome Heather - I just love the carved wood!